wibiya widget

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Get to Know Michael McGrew


Bobbi Williams dreamed his way to the top not taking “No” for an answer. From street hustler to a successful conman, he finds himself lost and confused when his best friend/sister is murdered in cold blood.
Now doing a six year bid for a string of robberies he is friends with his late-sister’s boyfriend James. They plan their way back to the top together. When Bobbi is released from Atlanta State Penitentiary with a lot to prove and a legal hustling game plan, his life begins to take a successful turn for the worst.
Starting with James’ fiancé, Jennifer, recognizing that she is his kind of girl. Bobbi has it all: the money, fame, a fantasy and a family until his past and a little karma catches up to him. My Kinda Girl is a tale that travels deep in the mind of a man with secrets that manifest into problems, too hard to live with, and death is the only way out!

Where did you get the idea and inspiration to write My Kinda Girl?

Michael McGrew: I got the idea for my novel one day when I was accompanied by a close friend of mine. He happened to invite me to the beach with some lady friends of his. After a couple of drinks and a lot of socializing, I became interested in one of the women whom seemed to be my buddy’s girl. It was something about her that captured me. With my standards, feelings like that were rare.
I am a man of principle. With that being said, I battled with myself temporarily because I was tempted to come on to her anyway. Fortunately, I chose to abide by my principles and decided to honor my friendship but always wondered how far could I have went with her before I got caught!

What sets My Kinda Girl apart from other novels in its genre?

MM: Well, a lot of male authors try to write from a woman’s perspective, and I think that’s great. On the other hand, women are captivated by a man’s point of view and need to understand that we are logical thinkers and not emotional. I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel but only elaborate extensively and creatively with my gripping and unique style of writing.


As an author, what are the keys to your success that lead to My Kinda Girl getting out to the public?

MM: The keys to my success is the passion that I have for my lifestyle. I wouldn’t call what I do a hobby or craft but just what it is, and that’s a lifestyle. I understand that hard work is involved in every success story. I plan to continue my growth as a father, business man and role model in my own right. as a self published author, i market and promote my own work and it seems to work for me. I have my hands in a lot of ventures and consider myself a writer and not just an author.

As an author, what is your writing process? How long did it take for you to start and finish My Kinda Girl?

MM: It took me four months to write my first novel and three months to write my second. I also wrote a movie script in two months and I’m getting better as I come along. I would say that my estimated time to complete a novel would be two to three months.

What’s next for Michael McGrew?
MM: Next I plan to complete my third novel by the end of the year at least, if not earlier. i'm also a story editor for a reality show in Los Angeles and writing four teenage novels due to be released in the spring of '10. Networking with the right people will ultimately land me where I need to be. My only motivation is being a role model for my son. I have tremendous plans and my progress is very impressive.

Michael Mcgrew can be described in one word, “Visionary”. Naturally born with a storytelling gift, writing a gripping novel is a walk in the park for this Los Angeles native. When asked about his role models and inspiration growing up, he simply explained that “life itself and what it offers in every breath of fresh air that we inhale is worth being documented.” He is a very diverse individual with a mind that invites the reality in which we choose to either accept or ignore. We can’t ignore the world in which we live but reading about it is healthier than participating in it.

Born and raised in the south side of Los Angeles, CA, Michael Mcgrew’s early life is testimony that represents the epitome of struggle and relates to many success stories heard daily. After dropping out of the eleventh grade to raise his son, he experienced hardships like most inner city dwellers, trying his hand in various middle class ventures in an attempt to make a name for himself. Later he picked up a job working as a lighting technician for B.E.T and it didn’t take long for him to discover his interest in script writing. Michael Mcgrew is an ambitious and clever writer who has clearly overcame many obstacles and experienced what urban literature depicts; and is even being compared to the late literary legends Donald Goines and Iceberg Slim for his first person views and ability to capture the essence of suspenseful entertainment. “My Kinda Girl” is his first novel and is currently working on his third, due to be released in March of ’10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones