wibiya widget

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Conversations w/ Donniel D. Jackson


1. Tell us about your debut novel Chante's Song?

A: In life we all have all meet a man who we want to be the one, yet for whatever reason he is just not the one for you. Then you meet the man who is everything you want and need in a man and he wants to love you, yet he isn’t the one you truly want. You know he’s a good man so you entertain him. When thing are going good between you and your new boo the one you really want resurfaces, coming to claim what’s his and claiming to have changed.
What do you do? Do you follow your heart and go with the one you really want? Or do you follow your brain and stay with one who is right for you?

Chante’s Song is a testimony of the main character, Chante Chambers and her quest for love.

2. Where did you get the idea and inspiration to write Chante’s Song?

A: I started writing Chante’s Song in 2000, while I was at work. The night before I was on the phone with a good friend of mine and she was singing Chante’s Got a Man, and her name is Shauntae. I liked how it sounded. Took the concept and ran with it. As I wrote, I put the feelings that I was experiencing at the time, and the story just developed.

3. What sets Chante’s Song apart from other novels in its genre?

The way the story is told. I tried my best to be as descriptive, candid and realistic as possible. I think we all have read a “Chante’s Song” before, yet we have never read the story being told in the manner in which I tell it. That’s what sets my novel apart from other novels in genre and same subject matter.

4. What made you want to become an author?

I was born to be a writer. As a child into my early adult years I loved to be in la la land and writing put me there. Writing allows me to create a fantasy life and do it up big or small. I get to be a different person and do things Donneil would never do. I love entertaining others through my writing.

5. As an author, what is your writing process? How long did it take for you to start and finish Chante’s Song?

In a perfect world, I set the atmosphere, slow music, the computer and me. Prior to my eight year old going to bed, its me, the computer and my munchkinneck asking me fifty million questions. It works. For the most part, I have something on paper and I can always go back and tweak it. I also get a lot of writing done at work (don’t tell my employer-LOL).

Chante’s Song was started in 2000. I finished it in 2004. I transitioned a lot since I first began writing Chante’s Song. I went from living with my mom, to living on my own, to becoming a mom and just being a full fledge adult. During that transition, Chante’s Song sat on the shelf for a while. But once I picked her back up, there was no stopping me from seeing it to a finish product. And although it took 4 additional years to get it out, its out!


6. What are some of your all-time favorite books and authors?

My top three favorite authors are: 1) Terry McMillan 2) Sheneska Jackson 3) Lolita Files. Terry McMillan is my writing idol. I aim to be as successful as she is.

My favorite book is Lil Mama's Rules by Sheneska Jackson. This book exposed me to a different style of writing. It was the tone of the book that did it for me. It showed me that my frankness (is that a word?) is ok. I love Getting to the Good Part by Lolita Files. Honestly, I love that whole series.


7. What’s next for Donneil D. Jackson.

Only greatness! I want my name to be a name that will be around for a while, if not forever. I want to be up there with the Terry McMillians’ and Jackie Collins’. I know I am not on their level yet, however, my goal is to one day be where they are.

Currently, I am working on my second novel, Foolish. Foolish is set to be release Fall 2009. It’s somewhat of a sequel to Chante’s Song. I am also getting my thoughts together for my third novel. I haven’t decided on a title yet. I have but I don’t think I am going to go with Fairytale Bullsh*t. It’s a book about a scorned woman’s broken heart and her need for revenge.

Bonus Question

Is there anything else you'd like to share about yourself or your books?

Chante Song is a good, humorous page turning novel. You will not be disappointed. The character is realistic. You will laugh with her, cry with her, want to smack the mess out of her and in the end only want happiness for her. If you haven’t read Chante’s Song you should go out and get it and find out did she follow her heart or her brain.

Visit Donniel @ www.pureblisspublishing.com

Chante’s Song is only the beginning for me. As long as people will read I will write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones