wibiya widget

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Conversations w/ Jahzara


AAMBC: When did you discover your passion for writing?

Jahzara: I discovered my passion for writing when I was in the third grade. I was constantly in trouble for fighting the boys in the class and found myself being punished for taking up for myself. So, my punishment was the "Wee One's Corner". It is probably the equivalent to today's "Time-Out." Anyways, after I completed my school assignments in isolation, I would write in a composition book and the love affair started there.

AAMBC: How many books have you written?

Jahzara: My first book is Contradictions written under the name Nicole Bradley, Love Don't Live Here Anymore is my second book, I contributed a story entitled, "Friends With Benefits" to the Hood2Hood Anthology by Shannon Holmes, my third book is entitled Never Would Have Made It: A Testimony of What God Has Done In My Life and I am also accepting submissions for 3 anthologies as well.

AAMBC: You're very busy. I understand that your felt that you had to write Love Don't Live Here Amymore, can you expound on that?

Jahzara: Yes, I felt like I had to write that novel which is loosely based on my life. It doesn't read as an autobiography, though. But, I had to write it for two reasons. One, I had come out of a tumultuos marriage and I was hurt, angry, and bitter and that's not who I am as a person. I knew that if I didn't let ago of those negative emotions, they would ruin me. I also, knew that no woman deserved to undergo what I went through and so if my story could prevent one woman the heartache, I endured then writing it would be worth it.

AAMBC: What advice would you give to an individual who wants to pursue writing?

Jahzara: My advice would be to go for it--write. I caution people about the company they keep. Surround yourself with positive people. Always keep pen, paper, or flashdrives handy because you never know when the writing bug will hit you and you need to be able to record those ideas.

AAMBC: You started your own publishing company, Tranquil Moments LLC can you share how you went about doing that?

Jahzara: I did research on top of research. I reached out to individuals who had started their own companies and asked questions, followed up on the information that they provided me. I prayed and asked for guidance. Additionally, I invested in myself and my company with my own revenues and later OPM.

AAMBC: OPM?

Jahzara: Other People's Money. I took a sponsorship course with Fran Briggs, who is also my publicist and mentor and learned how to secure sponsors to assist me with my endeavors.

AAMBC: How can people contact you to learn more about your books and what you do?

Jahzara: Thank you for allowing me to share. I would like to encourage people to visit me at www.jahzarawrites.com and www.nicolebradley.com and allow me to put them and their projects in the limelight. It's not all about me. I have a love for people and like to spotlight them. To learn more about that opportunity, people can go to my Never Would Have Made It webpage at http://neverwouldhavemadeit.4t.com/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones