wibiya widget

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Conversations w/ Donna Hill


1. As a person what is your inspiration to write?

My inspiration to write is an overwhelming desire to tell stories, to create people and places that will touch the reader in a variety of ways. My mind and spirit is constantly filled with ideas and 'what ifs' and writing is my way of releasing those ideas.

2. When did you discover you loved to write?

As far back as I can remember. I was always a reader and spent hours in the library, reading everything I could get my hands on from the time I was old enough to go to the library alone. Reading was my passion and my writing was an outgrowth of all that I had taken in. I wanted to do with words the same thing that writers that I read did to me--enchant.

3. What was your first written piece and how did it feel to have accomplished such a task?

Hmmm, my first written piece was an article for a small independent magazine that has since gone out of print. It was pretty cool to see my name beneath title of the article. That was way back in 1986-87. My first short story was published in 1987. My first novel in 1990.

4. A Author’s career can be a difficult task, so how do you get into the zone to write your next book?

Like any other job there are days when I have to make myself sit down and do the work. Some days the words flow like a waterfall, other days I'm a stopped up drain!

5. Taking it back to your debut novel, how did it feel to hold your first book in your hand?

It was absolutely awesome! It was a validation that if you work hard for something that you believe in you can make it happen.

6. Other then writing what is one of the things you love to do?

Stretch out across my bed and zone out on TV. LOL

7. When is all said and done what mark do you want to leave in the literary industry?

I hope that when it's all said and done readers will be able to say "she was a damned good storyteller."

Visit Donna Hill at www.donnahill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones