Sunday, April 5, 2009
Coversations w/ Best Selling Author Brenda Hamptom
1. As a person what is your inspiration to write?
More than anything, I’m inspired by my readers who always seem to understand the important messages I put into my books. The love and support they show for my work truly keeps me going and inspires me to write more.
2. When did you discover you loved to write?
Writing was something I always enjoyed doing, but it wasn’t until I read Terry McMillan’s Disappearing Acts when I decided to write novels.
3. What was your first written piece and how did it feel to have accomplished such a task?
My first written piece was my memoir that hasn’t been published yet. My first published novel was Two’s Enough Three’s A Crowd, and releasing it was the greatest feeling ever. I often refer to it as having a newborn baby, and even though nothing compares to bringing my beautiful children in the world, releasing my first book came pretty close.
4. An Author’s career can be a difficult task, so how do you get into the zone to write your next book?
I do have to step into the “zone” to work on my books and that includes: ignoring phone calls, closing the door to my office, not making myself available to anyone and staying focused on which direction I want my novel to go.
5. Taking it back to your debut novel, how did it feel to hold your first book in your hand? Simply put…GOOD!!
6. Other then writing what is one of the things you love to do?
I really love to skate, but I haven’t had much time to do it. Since I can’t go to the rink as often as I would like to, sometimes I put on my skates and skate in front of my house. The kids join me too, making it a lot of fun.
7. When is all said and done what mark do you want to leave in the literary industry?
Currently, I have a reputation as being the “go to person” when aspiring writers want to know about the industry. I’m known for offering my honest opinion about the work individuals submit to me and many authors trust what I do. Through working as a literary representative and POD book publisher, my goal has always been to work with talented writers and assist them with finding their way. I want to be remembered as the author/agent/publisher…that gave a helping hand when others needed it.
Essence Magazine Bestselling Author
Two Wrongs Don't Make a Right
The Dirty Truth
How Can I Be Down?
No Justice No Peace
Naughty Series (Coming Jan. 2009)