wibiya widget

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Conversations w/ L Divine


1. As a person what is your inspiration to write?
My inspiration for writing comes from daily events, usually interactions I have with or about young people, women in particular, of African descent. I also write because it helps in my personal healing process and hopefully my readers have a similar experience when reading the novels.

2. When did you discover you loved to write?

As a young child, about the same time that I found a love for reading...they go hand in hand.

3. What was your first written piece and how did it feel to have accomplished such a task?

The first written piece that I can recall is a poem I wrote in elementary school. I can't remember the name (my step-mother still has it somewhere) but I know it was about me wanting to be an attorney or president when I grew up. No one told me that being a writer was ever an option. It won a prize but I don't remember all of the details. I just remember hanging it on the bedroom door until it fell off. It felt so good that writing became addictive.

4. An Author’s career can be a difficult task, so how do you get into the zone to write your next book?

I approach my writing like any other job: I wake up in the morning, do my mama thing and then I go to work. I have a word/page count I need to make every day and keep it moving, just like that. I already have the stories outlined and I just write to my outlines, for the most part. The inspiration is always there. Making time to follow through with the inspired thoughts is the challenge.

5. Taking it back to your debut novel, how did it feel to hold your first book in your hand?

I can't describe the feeling in full...elated maybe? I can still remember thumbing though the fresh cut pages and smelling the newness of my words in print, cover to cover. It felt satisfying.

6. Other then writing what is one of the things you love to do?

I love to cook, baking mostly.

7. When is all said and done what mark do you want to leave in the literary industry?

I want to bridge the gap between the young adult population and the literary/academic community, leaving a positive black her story series for girls (and boys) to relate to. Having our own reflection in the major literary market is huge and I’m glad to be a part of this major accomplishment.

Visit the author at http://www.myspace.com/ldivine

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones