wibiya widget

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Conversations w/ Best Selling Author JD Mason


1. As a person what is your inspiration to write?

Writing is liberating for me, I guess because making up stories has always been a part of my nature. When I was a child, I’d spend hours playing alone with dolls, making up their stories. I don’t know what else I’d do if I couldn’t write. I’d feel a huge void in my life.

2. When did you discover you loved to write?

When I was about nine, I was always writing stories in class, and then one day my fourth grade teacher worked with me to actually publish a selection of the stories I’d written. After we put the “book” together, I was allowed to take it down to the first grade class, and listen in while their teacher read my book to her class. I felt like a superstar.

3. What was your first written piece and how did it feel to have accomplished such a task?

The fourth grade book was great, but finishing my first real novel twenty years later was amazing. The first draft of that novel was a hundred pages which isn’t nearly long enough for a full length book. I didn’t know how to fix it, but I knew that I wasn’t anywhere close to having a finished product on my hands. It took years to finally get it figured out, but when I did, I felt as proud of myself as I had when I was nine.

4. A Author’s career can be a difficult task, so how do you get into the zone to write your next book?

Most new authors have the luxury of being driven to write because they are full of adrenaline and have a full reserve of pure creativity to draw from. That energy and creative flow can inspire 1, 2, maybe even 3 good books from a writer. But as time goes on, writers have to come to terms with the fact that writing is a job, and like any other job, it requires commitment, dedication, and hard work. I used to have the luxury of waiting for my muse to show up before I could work on a novel, but that’s not the case anymore. Now, I have multiple contracts and deadlines to meet, and I don’t have time to wait for inspiration. Often times, I find myself sitting at my desk for hours on end until I can make something happen. Hopefully, I can come up with something good. If not, then I have to delete it and start over.

5. Taking it back to your debut novel, how did it feel to hold your first book in your hand?

I thought I’d feel like an author, but I think I just felt lucky. It didn’t feel real or like it was my book at all. I was happy, but it was a detached kind of joy.

6. Other then writing what is one of the things you love to do?

I love reading, listening to live music, and I’m seriously considering getting my motorcycle license.

7. When is all said and done what mark do you want to leave in the literary industry?

I would love for the masses to understand that I tried to entertain them in a way that encouraged them to see these stories from different perspectives and angles, which hopefully made them think about the characters and stories a little differently than they would have if they hadn’t read my books. I’d like to be remembered as an author who attempted to look a little deeper into her characters and storylines and who didn’t just write drama for dramas sake.

VISIT HER AT http://www.officiallyjd.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones