wibiya widget

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Got a Right to Be Wrong By KL Brady


K. L. Brady is a D.C. native but spent a number of her formative years in the Ohio Valley. She’s an alumnus of the University of the District of Columbia and University of Maryland University College, earning a B.A. in Economics and M.B.A., respectively. She works as an analyst for a major government contracting firm and is an active real estate agent with Taylor Properties, writing by night (often into the wee hours of the morning). She lives just outside of D.C. in Cheltenham, Maryland, with her son and is an active member of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc.


Originally self-published, her debut adult novel, THE BUM MAGNET, was published by Simon & Schuster's Pocket Books in March 2011. THE BUM MAGNET was the winner of the 2010 Next Generation Indie Book Awards for Multicultural Fiction, as well as the Third Place Grand Prize Winner for Best Fiction of 2010. Moreover, the African Americans on the Move Book Club selected Ms. Brady as their 2011 Female Author of the Year. The hilarious, highly anticipated Bum Magnet sequel, Got A Right to Be Wrong, published by Simon & Schuster's Gallery Books, will be released January 31, 2012.



The sequel to the award-winning book club favorite The Bum Magnet features the return of the smart, quick-witted, loveable real estate agent with a long memory and a short fuse. Sassy and successful real estate agent Charisse Tyson is about to tie the knot with the man of her dreams, but the wedding has everyone, including Charisse, under a lot of pressure.


As Charisse and the love of her life march toward matrimony,his hidden past is revealed, Charisse’s missing-in-action father resurfaces, and things heat up with Charisse’s best guy friend. Suddenly Charisse is faced with many new questions regarding her life decisions, and she must figure out just how right or wrong she was all along.

Get to Know KL:


1. Where did you get the inspiration to write Got aRight to Be Wrong?




It’s the follow-up to my debut novel The Bum Magnet in whichthe main character Charisse attempted to overcome her penchant for getting intorelationships with players. In that book, she experienced a great deal ofemotional growth which brought her to the man of her dreams–or so she thought.




In Got a Right to Be Wrong, we explore what happens whenwomen find out their “Mr. Right” isn’t Mr. Perfect. He’s made huge mistake,about 8 pounds 5 ounces worth, and now she has to decide whether she can getpast his failings and dishonesty to make a life and spend forever with him.

Another important issue it covers is her relationship withher missing-in-action father, who hasn’t played a role in her life but tries tomake amends during the wedding that might not happen. So many women have grownup without their fathers and have had dysfunctional romantic relationships as aresult. Got a Right to Be Wrong explores what can happen when the fatherreturns and the daughter doesn’t welcome her father with open arms.




2. Do you remember when the writing bug hit?




No. I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. Mymother would buy me the old diaries with the little locks on them and I wouldjust write and write about my feelings, what I did, or whatever. Journaling issomething I still do to this day. Although I do find some of the subject matterI cover in my novels quite cathartic.




3. Besides books, what else do you write? Do you write for publications?




I thought I was strictly a novelist until my publisher askedme to write a few self-help/relationship articles based on themes from thebook. They wanted to publish them on the Simon & Schuster Tips for Life andLove site, as well as Yahoo! Shine, a site for women. I found I really enjoyedit and wrote two articles in a couple of hours. Both of them were accepted forpublication, so I decided to re-launch a blog I’d started ages ago featuringsuch articles. The blog is called “Get off the Love Short Bus with Rissey andNisey” who are two of the main characters from The Bum Magnet. The title of theblog really means that women should stop getting in their own way inrelationships by doing stupid things. I was an idiot ten or fifteen years ago.I hope this blog helps women find their way a little faster than did I.http;//www.thebummagnet.blogspot.com.




4. What are your favorite aspects of writing?




What’s not to love? I spend my entire day with people wholove to talk to me, tell me their dreams, fears, aspirations, interests, lovelives, etc. Mostly, I get to write happy endings. I haven’t had a lot of happyendings in my own life, with the exceptions being my writing career and my son.I love having my characters go through turmoil but finding happiness, in whateverform that may take, at the end of the story. With everything I've been through, I still believe in happy endings. Why would you end a story anyother way?



5. Your least favorite aspects of writing?




My least favorite aspect of writing is editing. No question.Once I write the story, I want to hand it off and let someone else to the gruntwork. I want to see it when it’s all pretty and shiny. Unfortunately, that’s adream world reserved for crazy people and seven-figure earning NY Timesbestsellers.



6. Who is your publisher and how did you getaccepted by them? Did you pitch yourbook yourself or go through an agent?




Simon & Schuster is my publisher. I had tried so hard toget an agent when I first finished the book, to no avail. So I self-published.Four months after self-publishing, I was discovered by an executive editor atanother house who expressed interest in acquiring my book. With her interest, Isecured a literary agent who sent it out to all editors who might beinterested, and I eventually accepted the deal from Simon & Schuster.



7. What’s next for K.L. Brady?




I’m nearly finished with the first book in a new seriesfeaturing black female FBI agent, J.J. McCall. She’s a human lie-detector whocatches spies. I think people are really going to enjoy this character becauseshe’s got the humor that one would expect to find in my books, but it’s alsogot a lot more mystery, suspense…and of course no book by me would be completewithout romance.




I’ve also finished my second young adult novel Soul of theBand about a black girl who through some strange twists of circumstance becomesthe only black member of an all white marching band. She faces all thechallenges that African-American teens in similar situations face, includingsome racism, but the question is whether she can overcome her challenges in theface of adversity. Again, a very funny character but the book has romance, alittle mystery, and certainly brings the drama.




On the horizon, I'm planning a book called, "The BootyCall" as part of my relationship series which features Micki, another hilarious, relationship-challenged heroine who becomes commitment phobic after being jilted by her first love. I'm also planning an offshoot to TheBum Magnet that features Charisse's best friend Lamar. It will shed light onhis personal/relationship history and how he became a MAJORplayer-turned-devout Christian. I'm still working on the title but rest assuredit will be a page-turner...and a growth experience for me because it features astrong male main character.

Find the Author:

Web Links:



www.AuthorKLBrady.com
http://authors.simonandschuster.com/K-L-Brady/76764023

www.facebook.com/karlab27
www.facebook.com/KL-Brady

www.twitter.com/karlab27

Blog: www.thebummagnet.blogspot.com
Blog: www.cheapindieauthor.blogspot.com
Email: karla@klbradywrites.com


Book can be purchased at:



Bookstores Nationwide

http://www.amazon.com/Got-Right-Be-Wrong-ebook/dp/B005PSJ36E/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&qid=1322945294&sr=8-1-spell
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/got-a-right-to-be-wrong-k-l-brady/1102846347?ean=9781451616576&itm=1&usri=got+a+right+to+be+wrong
http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Got-Right-Be-Wrong/K-L-Brady/9781451616576?id=5140913065143
http://www.indiebound.org/book/9781451616576
http://books.simonandschuster.com/Got-a-Right-to-Be-Wrong/K-L-Brady/9781451616576

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones