wibiya widget

Monday, February 6, 2012

The “Skeeter Hawk” Novel By Hubert R. Stokes


Saby Stone is the pen name for Hubert R. Stokes a retired teacher who loves to write novels to teach Black History. So many of our young adults between the age of 21 and 45 years have not been told the complete story our history so it is his dream that his novels will help to enlighten them as well as others about our history.

A Saby Stone Story is a unique story touched by the human experience, seasoned with the spice of African-American History and dashes of romance. It is the goal of Saby Stone writers to tell unique stories, but at the same time, tell the hidden or untold history of the African people as they adjust to their new home in a different land.



The title of my second novel is "Skeeter Hawk." It was released on Feb. 26, 2011 during Black History Month. The Author's name is Saby Stone (My pen name). It was self-published by me using my publishing co. Saby Stone Publishing. Books are available on my website in soft and hard covers. The ISBN number is 978-0-9817770-2-3. www.sabystone.com

Excerpt: It was well into the evening when he got up. He slipped an extra large towel around his six foot, five inch well built frame. His body was in good condition for a fifty year old. A lot of men his age would have let themselves go, but not Benjamin Brooks. He took pride in his muscular build. He had a daily workout program that called for him to rise early and exercise for one hour. Being a lawyer, he wanted to look good in his shades of blue, tailor made suits.
“Nothing worse than an out of shape lawyer” he would say. “If a lawyer couldn’t discipline himself for his own good, how could he discipline himself to pursue his client’s case?”
His smooth dark brown complexion created a rouse among the ladies in his office. His secretary Lola kept him informed as to what the ladies were saying about him.
“They call you the Black Fox, you know.” She would tell him. He couldn’t prove it,

but he thought that Lola started the rumor herself.



Sheila Smith

It was funny how he met Sheila, he was at a lawyer’s conference in Las Vegas and Sheila was there from Detroit purchasing clothes from her favorite designer, Benje. Things were still a little bumpy from his lost of Melia and he thought that he would spend some time at the dice table hoping that it would change his luck. He was losing badly, but he noticed that everyone at the dice table stopped talking and they were looking in his direction. He hadn’t noticed that Sheila had slipped up beside him. When he turned, her beauty met him front and center. Her skin was the color of brown sugar and she looked twice as sweet. He wanted to impress her with elegant words, but he had been out of practice in charming women. What could he say to her?
What’s a fine momma like you doing in here alone? No too lame. Heaven must have lost an angel and I found you. No, God and I have problems; He would never send me an angel after the things I had said to Him. Are you lost because I’m the lost and found department? Too weak!!
Before he could damage his brain thinking of things to say to her and humiliate himself, she spoke.
“You might need some help with that.”
“Some help with what?”
“Your dice, they seem to have gotten cold on you. Do you want me to warm them up for you?”
“Uh, yeah!”
She took him by the hand and turned the dice toward her. She then puckered up and was preparing to blow on the dice. He could not help but notice how moist and delicious her lips looked. He hadn’t paid attention to a woman’s lips other than Melia in years. Slowly, his hand begins to shake.
“No wonder you’re having trouble with your dice, are you nervous or is it me?”
“It is you.” He yelled in his mind. “You know darn well that you are upsetting me, throwing my game off.” He tried to steady his hand, as drops of sweat formed on his forehead. “Talking about never let them see you sweat, if she sees me sweating like a wild animal, she will never speak to me again.”
She looked straight into his eyes as if she had the power to hypnotize him; commanding him to do her will. She turned her eyes from him and blew very gently on the dice sending a warm sensation up his arm. Then, she did something completely unexpected. She kissed him tenderly on the wrist. His arm felt like it was on fire. She had not only warmed the dice, but she sat him a blaze as well. She took a cologne laced silk handkerchief from her purse and gently wiped his forehead. The scent of the cologne traveled up his nasal passage sending a tingling feeling to his brain. He thought for a second that he was about to lose consciousness.
She winked at him then turned and walked away. Her walk was unbelievably sexy. Every guy and lady at the table was watching her walk away. To him, her walk seems to have magnetic power, drawing his eyes from their sockets to roll helplessly across the floor following her. His ears followed the sound of a different drummer; the rhythmic beat of her hips as she moved further and further away. His mouth became unbelievable dry like a diabetic who have had an overdose of sugar. He craved water, but he believed that only she could quench his craving.

Hubert R. Stokes taught mathematics in the Detroit Public School for forty years. He worked exclusively on the eastside of Detroit and helped to educate generations of children. After graduating from Winston-Salem State University in Winston-Salem, N. C. in 1968, he embraced the school motto to “enter to learn and depart to serve.” Later he received his master’s degree in Middle School Mathematics from Wayne State University and continued his dream to motivate his students to be the best that they could be.

Mr. Stokes has spent time tutoring youngsters and managing after school recreation programs to help develop well rounded young people. He worked with the Detroit Public Schools, Enrichment Program for Institutionalized Children (EPIC) for over twenty years, laboring to support and educate our at risk youth.

He was retired in 2008 by his former students but continues to sponsor activities like Girl Talk and Career Day at his former school. After retirement, he has rekindled his love for Afro-American Studies, choosing to convey our Black Heritage to others in a series of romance novels called Saby Stone Stories.

Mr. Stokes has received numerous awards for his teaching abilities, including Outstanding Young Man in America, the Booker T. Washington Educators Achievement Award and Teacher of the Year at Corinthian Baptist Church, just to name a few. Mr. Stokes holds most precious, five awards given to him by his former students who recommended him to “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers” in 1994, 2000, 2002, 2005, and 2006.

Teaching for Mr. Stokes is a unique calling from God. He has kept in contact with many of his former students. His doctor, lawyer, accountant, mechanic, banker, insurance agent and florist are all his former students. Mr. Stokes says, “some teachers teach a lifetime and never know what their former students are doing, but I take pride in knowing about my former students’ accomplishments because their success is my success.”

An Interview with Saby Stone


Interviewer: Saby Stone is the pen name for Hubert Stokes. What is the reasoning behind your use of a pen name?

Saby: I wanted to pay homage to my grandfather, Saby (say-bee) Gilliard. My father died when I was six and I was raised by my mother. She made sure that I did not forget her father. I would like for his name to go around the world. Stone is the last name of one of my former students who encouraged me to write. Besides, I think that Saby Stone is a catchy name.

Interviewer: You taught math for forty years. Becoming an author had to be a big change for you?

Saby: It was a challenge, but I had always had a desire to write a book. Writing, for me is a new frontier. It is taking me boldly where I’ve never been before.


Interviewer: Why did you write a love story and why is it unique?

Saby: Everyone wants to be loved. The idea of love appeals to all age groups. “Skeeter Hawk” is a love story with an exceptional plot. It is a modern day romance, but it captures the history of Gullah Geechee people.

Interviewer: Why write about the Gullah Geechee people?

Saby: I’m from North Carolina and my parents were born near the east coast of South Carolina. I’m embarrassed to say this, but I don’t know my heritage. I could have been a part of the Gullah Geechee people, the very people I made fun of growing up because of their unique culture. "Skeeter Hawk" is my way of saying please forgive me for my childhood ignorance.

Interviewer: That is unique. What part of the book was most difficult to write?

Saby: The romantic scenes, of course, because intimacy is a private matter to me. I did not want my book to be too far out there. I wanted things to be in good taste and not too graphic. I wanted to show that “Love Boat” kind of love, exciting and new. I had to reach deep within my mind to describe the romantic scenes. I had to become my character to think like him and understand him.

Interviewer: What is the origin of Skeeter Hawk and how did you come up with the idea?

Saby: I’ve always been a great story teller. I made up stories to help my students learn math concepts. They loved the stories I told them. So, I used my story telling skills to come up with the idea of Skeeter Hawk.

Interviewer: Do you have plans for other books and what age range will be targeted in your books?

Saby: I’m targeting people 21 – 45 because I feel that people in general have missed most of our history. I have a deep appreciation for black studies. So, my future novels will always reveal some of our heritage. You will see romance to draw them in and history to reveal the untold heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

July Book of the Month

Literary Events

  • Book Expo of America
  • Black Writers Conference
  • National Black Book Festival
  • National Book Club Conference

AAMBC Radio

Subscribe to AAMBC Reading Group

Powered by us.groups.yahoo.com

Blog viewed better in Modzilla Fire Fox

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones